February 24, 2011

REVIEW: This Side of the Grave by Jeaniene Frost


Title: This Side of the Grave
Author: Jeaniene Frost
Serie: Night Huntress (book 5)
Genre: Urban Fantasy/Paranormal Romance

Half-vampire Cat Crawfield and her vampire husband Bones have fought for their lives, as well as for their relationship. But just when they've triumphed over the latest battle, Cat's new and unexpected abilities threaten to upset a long-standing balance...

With the mysterious disappearance of vampires, rumors abound that a species war is brewing. A zealot is inciting tensions between the vampires and ghouls, and if these two powerful groups clash, innocent mortals could become collateral damage. Now Cat and Bones are forced to seek help from a dangerous "ally" - the ghoul queen of New Orleans herself. But the price of her assistance may prove more treacherous than even the threat of a supernatural war ...to say nothing of the repercussions Cat never imagined.
(Amazon)


OUR REVIEWS:

SONIA

Woohoo, Cat and Bones are finally back!!! We've been waiting for this for so long.. and once again, they have not disappointed. If you haven't read this serie yet, start it asap!! Trust me, you don't know what you are missing!

Even after Cat became a full-blooded vampire, she still has enemies claiming her to be a threat to the ghoul nation. A war is coming, a war like never before – between two undead races and Cat stands right between them.

Where do I start? Oh yes, VLAD IS MINE!!!!! *bursts out laughing* Just sayin.. I totally adore Mr. Hot Hands!!! Ok, now seriously.. (or not! LOL)

The book couldn't start better!!! Naked Bones in chains? Hell yes!!!!

And Bones was as sexy as always! "Ask me if I sparkle, and I'll kill you where you stand." was one of my most favorite quotes!

Cat's and Bones's personal life has never been better – as a couple, they are stronger than ever before. The first infatuation has changed to something much more deeper, no more drama, no more inner or outer conflicts, no more rushed decisions or fights. (Even though I have to admit I missed some of that, some of the previous tension between them was missing.)

Chapter 21.. *sigh* OMG, CHAPTER 21!! The motto „Cat bites back!“ really says it all!! Oh yes, we might have a new chapter 32, ladies and gentlemen!!! I surely won't look at candles the same way again :-)

I loved how Cat finally dropped her guard with Bones and told him how she really feels about him, resulting in one of the most heart-warming moments of this book.

„I am forever yours, Kitten, in this life or the next.“

The main storyline didn't grab my attention as much as the previous ones. Maybe I didn't feel the danger as much as before. I would appreciate more direct action I guess.

After meeting with Marie, the queen of New Orleans, Cat gets some surprising new ability that will cause the probably most embarrassing moments in Cat
's life and later one of the best scenes in the book including Cat and Vlad's and Mencheres's packages :-) We also learn about the previous half-breed and let's just say I didn't expect that history lesson!

One of the things I loved most in this book were the secondary characters. The girls here know that I absolutely LOVE Vlad.. *giggle* ..and I was enjoying every part with him (and of him.. *giggle*)!!! Beside Bones, he is the most intriguing character, cocky, with his wicked sense of humor and his loyalty to Cat. Once again he had one of the best quotes in this book where I was literally laughing out loud :-)

“What the hell was that?” I gasped.
“Premature inflamulation,” he replied. “Happens sometimes. Very embarrassing, I don't like to talk about it.”

Can't wait for his serie!!

And I also loved seeing Mencheres and Kira!! The scene when Cat and Bones arrived to find them „busy“ and later sitting all prim and proper drinking tea was hilarious :-)

I really liked this book!!! Jeaniene Frost did it again! I wasn't able to put it down. It is not my favorite NH book though, something was missing in this one, but it is still one of the TOP paranormal series I have read. The ending just left me with a huge smile on my face :-) Cat and Bones are one of my favorite paranormal couples, whether falling in love, fighting with each other or enjoying their mature relationship. Can't wait for the next book this fall!!! So my rating is 4* for the story and a half bonus star for Vlad and Mencheres :-)

MY RATING: 4,5*



MELISSA

Aahhhh... the much anticipated book five of Cat and Bones. I waited so long for this book it seems. :)

This Side of the Grave takes us pretty much where book four left off. Cat and Bones can't catch a break, as this time a war between the vampires and ghouls is brewing because of Cat's new "abilities". Masterless vampires are disappearing and they seek help from the Ghoul Queen of New Orleans to assist them, but at what cost?

Cat has really matured in this book. Whether that is a good thing is up for you to decide. Some people may miss Cat's sharp tongue and snark remarks, others may not. There is some typical Cat comments, so all is not lost because I personally love fiesty Cat. :) She does finally open up to Bones, which is long overdue in my opinion. It was actually a very touching scene. Bones has always been up front with his emotions and it was nice to have Cat attempting to do the same and thinking of him before she made any really rash decisions.

Vlad and Mencheres are the stars of this book, in my opinion. Both had memorable scenes and were just more involved in the storyline. They provided the comedic relief for this book. As a Vlad fan, I appreciated that. :) Mencheres really grew on me, too. I admit that he didn't hit on my radar until the the last couple of books. His own book, Eternal Kiss of Darkness, really provided the most insight into his character and personality and this book definitely embellished on that.

It didn't seem as if Cat wasn't as in immediate danger as the other books for some reason. I wasn't as afraid of the antagonist (trying to avoid spoilers) or the ghouls, as I guess I could have been. Maybe because C/B had such a good plan, it worked too good? I'm not sure, but something seemed missing.

I have to point out Chapter 21, as I am sure it is well spoken about now. It was very steamy, and would definitely give Chapter 32 of One Foot in the Grave a run for its money. Cat and Bones in the first chapter and in the garden also worth mentioning. They are just so great together. Definitely one of my favorite PNR couples.

There were a couple of surprises, that I am curious as to how they will effect the storyline in book 6. Overall, a good book. You'll laugh, and you might cry (so keep a tissue nearby). TSOTG might not be my favorite Cat and Bones, but still worth the read and I enjoyed it very much. Jeaniene Frost did a great job balancing the plot with the character development. Her ingeniously witty lines and writing style just make her characters all the more lovable. I highly anticipate book six, which is expected this Fall.


My Rating: 4.5 stars

Jessica

Since Sonia and Melissa have done such a good job reviewing the book, I'm going to keep my short and sweet. This will also save me the embarrassment of trying to top their reviews *wink*.

While I loved the book (because let's face it...it's BONES! That man in my eyes can do no wrong), I couldn't help but feeling like something was just off. I can't quite put my finger on it but something was just missing from this book for me.

Cat and Bones are stronger than ever and we see Cat finally (YAY!) let down her walls and fully open up to Bones, which was nice to see. I have to say that I missed their banter, and that sexual tension that's been in every book, was sadly lacking (IMO). But of course a certain little chapter COMPLETELY makes up for it.

We see a lot of Vlad and Mencheres in this book as well, which as you all know I'm a big fan of Mencheres so that's always a plus for me. And we get to see his more playful side.

Overall the book was fantastic. The humor was in full force with scenes making me *laugh out loud*, and even though the sense of danger/doom that I usually feel in this series was a bit lacking, I will forever be a devote follower of this series and anything new that Jeaniene Frost may come up with later down the road.

My Rating: 4 very big stars



More soon...


No comments:

Post a Comment